Swipe File 101











This is a picture of a typography piece by one of my all time favorite artists. Check out her work at www.bantjes.com. Prepare to be amazed.

How many of you have a little trove of treasures? A file, a box, a room, and album full of memories, pictures, clippings, trinkets, quotes, things that inspire you?? Things will undoubtedly put a smile on your face or spark that creative thought process?? Well thats a swipe file! Advertising execs, copy writers, publicists, publishers and many other use these to help them stay on creative "track".

Many of us use them in theory but not in name. Since I was a little girl, I have had three ring binders full of advertisements, magazine clippings and the like that stir that inner part of me. In all honesty, my love of swipe files (and advertisements for that matter), are what caused me to pursue a degree in Advertising. And let me tell you, my years of investment into my files have made a considerable dent in my education. My poor mother finally understands their significance! She hated the closet full of magazines as well as the binders that I insisted on keeping from age 12 until 24. (Partial embarassment of the vastness of my collection, as well as moving into my boyfriends considerably neater, less cluttered home, caused me to downsize my file(s)) Thank god for scanners!

So what does this have to do with a blog?? Why are you reading this? Well, today after sorting through a considerable amount of clippings and making an inspiration board for my studio I realize the value that it has to my psyche, my creativity, and my progress in life and I wanted to share that with you. So this blog is dedicated to my need to clip, paste, organize, file and categorize the things that bring me joy and hopefully they will spark you too!

0 comments:

top